Fire Service Training Videos

John Gignac Wins Jim Copeland Award from OMFPOA

John Gignac, Executive Director at the Hawkin-Gignac Foundation for CO Education was recently nominated for and subsequently has won the Jim Copeland Award from the Ontario Municipal Fire Preventions Officers Association (OMFPOA).

This award recognizes the significant contributions made by a citizen or group to the prevention of fire and the public education of life safety in the community. The nominee must be able to demonstrate support of fire prevention activities and the promotion of fire and life safety in the community. The award has been handed out in Ontario, since 2001.

“I’m honoured to be recognized for such an esteemed award. But what I am more proud of is that this acknowledgment shows that the issues of carbon monoxide education and awareness are becoming more center stage,” says John Gignac. “It has been the goal of our Foundation to elevate CO safety and prevention efforts to the same level as fire prevention and education. I believe they need to work hand-in-hand all year long given how important both issue are,” he adds.

In 2008 John Gignac’s niece OPP Safety Officer Laurie Hawkins, her husband Richard and two children Casandra and Jordan, were killed by carbon monoxide, in Woodstock, Ontario.  In response Mr. Gignac, a veteran Fire Captain, founded the Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education to warn all Canadians about the dangers of ‘the Silent Killer’. Since that time, John has been working tirelessly across Ontario and Canada, with the fire service, other partners and alone, to generate awareness and help save lives needlessly lost to a preventable problem.

Mr. Gignac was nominated by Jeff Balkwill, Fire Prevention Office at the County of Brant Fire Department. “John’s family went through a horrible tragedy and it is inspiring to see how he has taken that awful event and done his best to bring positivity out of it,” says Balkwill. “After all of his hard work over the past decade and all the lives he has surely saved with the efforts of his Foundation, we felt it was necessary to recognize John for his outstanding contribution to CO safety in Brant county, and across Ontario,” he adds.

 

PSAs featuring
Ontario’s Lieutenant Governor

In anticipation of Ontario's CO Awareness Week, Nov 1 – 7, the Hawkins-Gignac Foundation is honoured to share our new TV, radio and web Public Service Announcements featuring Her Honour the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, Lieutenant Governor of Ontario. PSA Downloads

Ontario's CO Alarm Law
- A Call to Action for Homeowners

This heartfelt and informative video tells the story behind the catalyst of Ontario's New CO alarm law, and what every householder needs to know to ensure they are in compliance.

Prestigious Award from Technical
Standards and Safety Authority

John Gignac was recently presented with the TSSA Legacy Award acknowledging his and the foundation’s tenacity and perseverance in pushing for the passing of the CO law in Ontario. Thank you to all the supporters who made this award possible. See the video.

Laura Hawkins Family

Latest News

Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

Friday, 12th July 2019

Canadas national Carbon monoxide safety foundation is calling on the Saskatchewan government and all jurisdictions in Canada to mandate the installation of CO alarms in all homes and businesses...

read more

Carbon monoxide poisoning at motel a warning, says advocate whose family died in 2008 leak

Wednesday, 10th July 2019

A mass carbon monoxide poisoning at a Winnipeg motel should be a warning to individuals and politicians about the dangers of the odourless, deadly gas, says a former Ontario firefighter and safety...

read more

A list of other carbon monoxide injuries or deaths in Canada

Tuesday, 9th July 2019

WINNIPEG — Emergency officials in Winnipeg say dozens of people have been sickened by a suspect carbon monoxide leak at a hotel. Here is a list of other incidents involving carbon...

read more

‘Let’s not have another tragedy. Let’s get it done’

Monday, 14th January 2019

A week after dozens of Montreal children suffered carbon monoxide poisoning at school, the province has admitted not all New Brunswick schools have detectors – and it's not sure which ones...

read more
Facebook Twitter Flickr Youtube