Posts by Author

Enforcement Date Arrives for Ontario’s New Mandatory CO Alarm Law

Sunday, 13th December 2015

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Enforcement Date Arrives for Ontario’s New Mandatory CO Alarm Law Education, not penalties, most important aspect of new CO alarm law says former firefighter who lost four family members to the Silent Killer April 13, 2015, Brantford, ON – The former firefighter whose family members died in a tragic... Read More

Carbon Monoxide Awareness Poll Finds Majority of Ontario Households Surveyed Have A CO Alarm But Owners Don’t Know When They Need To Be Replaced

Friday, 29th May 2015

Findings Inspire Canada’s Leading CO Alarm Education Foundation To Ramp-Up Brantford, Ontario – Canada’s leading foundation for carbon monoxide (CO) awareness – The Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education – has released findings of a new poll that takes the pulse on the CO safety landscape across the... Read More

Homeowner CO Alarm Awareness Poll Backgrounder

Wednesday, 29th April 2015

Who Conducted the Poll? The Hawkins-Gignac Foundation for CO Education recently commissioned the ‘Homeowner CO Alarm Awareness Poll’ to measure the number of homes in Canada that have CO alarms installed, and, to uncover homeowners’ beliefs about CO alarm replacement requirements. Why was the Hawkins-Gignac... Read More

Backgrounder: Carbon Monoxide (CO) Dangers and Poisoning

Wednesday, 24th December 2014

CO poisoning is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in North America. The following facts can help families to be aware of the risks and symptoms of CO poisoning. CO Poisoning Facts CO is often called the silent killer because it is odorless, tasteless and undetectable. CO is produced anytime a fossil fuel... Read More

We Were Lucky

Wednesday, 24th December 2014

I just found your site and wanted to say thank-you. My husband is an RCMP Sgt and when we moved to a force house in 2002 we all suffered CO poisoning from a leaky furnace. We thought it was mould and we kept the windows cracked. We had a plug in detector that went off when I started the furnace up again for the winter. ... Read More

My Email Could Save Your Life

Wednesday, 24th December 2014

This is the story of what has happened to me over the last 3 months. I urge you to PLEASE read it. It could save your life or keep you from becoming very, very ill! Flashback to 3 months ago: I start feeling ill with dizzy spells and the feeling of coming down with the flu. A couple of weeks go by and I am still feeling... Read More

We Need CO Legislation Province-Wide

Wednesday, 24th December 2014

What a great tribute to Laurie and her family. I can’t even imagine what you and the family have been through over the past year but I share a bit of your pain every time our crews run a CO call knowing that there could be another needless death. Your goals for the foundation are high but our reach must always be further... Read More

Only If I’d Had More Education About CO Poisoning

Saturday, 24th May 2014

I just want to say what a great foundation you have created. My life was turned upside down this summer, when my common-law husband and our dog lost their lives in our home due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I was always taught to have a CO detector in the basement and the CO comes from the furnace. However, my loss came about... Read More

What A Loss To Die Over Something So Preventable

Saturday, 24th May 2014

Wow, great job. We should have done this years ago for my Dad. We lost my Dad to CO on Feb 6, 2003 in Quispamsis NB. I have been trying to educate everyone I know about the dangers of CO and I have never understood why there has been so much education about fire and flame and very little about CO. It... Read More

Thank You For Giving Me Hope

Saturday, 24th May 2014

I was watching television tonight and saw your heartbreaking message. I was inspired to look up the site and let you know that I do know the similar pain you and your family are going through. Seven years ago on December 02, 2002 my husband (a painter) and his employee succumbed to the effects of Carbon Monoxide... Read More